Print Page | Close Window

Godfather speech to friends little boy

Printed From: 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio Forum
Category: Speeches
Forum Name: Baptism Speeches
Forum Discription: Help with all Christening speeches and Baptism speeches
URL: http://www.123ppt.com/video-backgrounds-studio/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=217
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 13:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.53 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Godfather speech to friends little boy
Posted By: Alexa
Subject: Godfather speech to friends little boy
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 02:43

Hello 123ppt,

my husband has been honoured with the role of godfather to our friends son third child.  Not a happy orator at the best of times, my husband is worried how best to manage this and what to say? Our friends are farmers and Christian, but not heavily Christian, neither are we.  That said, we wish to take our role seriously.

I have looked at the posts from others and your advice has been really good, however because the religious slant needs to be handled with soft hands and not too heavily, I wondered if your could point us in the right direction of what he should/ shouldn't include in his godfather speech?

All help gratefully accepted.

Alexa

Replies:
Posted By: Jonathan Stock
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 02:57

Hi Alexa,

welcome to the PowerPoint Forum.

There are of course many guises and obligations of a godparent both historically, religiously, and practically.

In a practical sense, I think ultimately however the role of a godparent is of course to ensure that in the event of misfortune, or accident to the parents, that the godparent's real obligation is to protect and guide their godchild until he or she is an adult and is able to stand upon their own two feet.

That said Alexa, one can easily argue that as human beings, we rarely stand up straight and spend most of our time are either looking down, falling down, tripping up, or missing our footing. So I think a godparent can always be there, as a voice of age, reason and experience.

For many, the religious connotations of being a godparent over shadow the practical obligations really. While others tend to see the notion of being a godparent more as a symbolic role.

I think given the context of the situation for both yourself, your husband and your friends Alexa, I would recommend a speech somewhere along the following lines.

"In this life we meet many people and many individuals who cross our path. For some it is only a fleeting moment, for others our crossings become lifelong friendships, and our souls form a bond that will last an eternity. For (the father's name of your godchild) and myself, our paths have meant friendship, trust, support and a bond that has seen us through many happy days and helped us overcome many sad times.

Today I am deeply honoured that our friendship opens a new door that leads to a new path for us all. A path upon which I willingly share in the responsibilities of (the father's name of your godchild) and (the mother's name of your godchild), with the baptism of (the name of your godchild).

For just as (the father's name of your godchild) and I have supported and been able to carry each other at times in our lives, today I gladly acknowledge that same friendship and support and will show and offer (the name of your godchild) the very same, as I embrace him as my god son.

Though I cannot say, I am wise for my years. Nor have lived my life to full measure and gain. All that I have learned. All that I have known. And all that I shall come to know is a knowledge and experience that I can offer (the name of your godchild), as he now starts his journey in this life.

As human beings, we rarely stand up straight. We spend most of our time, either looking down, falling over, tripping up, or miss our footing. As (the name of your godchild) godfather, I wish to vow to all those here present that I will always be there, as a voice of age, reason, experience and a shoulder of strength for (the name of your godchild) to lean on. Not only in times of joy and happiness, but more importantly in times of sadness and sorrow.

For whenever (the name of your godchild), should stumble or fall, know that I will be there in support, in strength and friendship. And that (the father's name of your godchild), and (the mother's name of your godchild), can know that this vow I make today will last from this moment and for always."

-------------
Jonathan Stock
Presentation Consultant, www.123ppt.com

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.53 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2008 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com