Print Page | Close Window

Help with engagement speech

Printed From: 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio Forum
Category: Speeches
Forum Name: Wedding Speeches
Forum Discription: Help with all Wedding speeches and Marriage speeches including Best Man speeches, Bridegroom speeches and Father of the Bride speeches
URL: http://www.123ppt.com/video-backgrounds-studio/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=192
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 05:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.53 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Help with engagement speech
Posted By: PowerPointer
Subject: Help with engagement speech
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 01:53

Hi y'all,

I am giving an engagement speech at our daughters engagement party this coming weekend. I was wondering if you had any advice you could offer me regarding the speech and any formal mentions that I should be aware of. I'm just terrified of making a foul of myself or embarrasing my wife in front so many friends, family members and new relatives.

Thank you for any input.

PowerPointer

Replies:
Posted By: Jonathan Stock
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 02:44

Hi PowerPointer,

(nice name by the way) that was a good nic to secure.

Engagement speeches are often more difficult than wedding speeches PowerPointer. In many instances it is the first time that the parents of the bride meet the parents of the groom, friends, family, and other relatives from both sides of the family come together for the first time.

That said, there's really no need to fear PowerPointer. Almost everyone will share the same "anguish" in meeting for the first time. Imagine the groom hoping that both parents will get along. That no one will drink too much or say the wrong thing or behave badly.

It's a meeting where nerves and feelings are high, but one where everyone only wants to relax and enjoy what is such a happy occassion and event.

Often as father of the groom, it is your perrogative to welcome the guests.

In my experience one of the best ways of achieving this is by giving everyone a glass of champagne, or non-alcoholic drink where necessary, on arrival. People tend to hold onto their glass like a child holds onto a security blanket. It is in a way a prop. Something to keep the hands occupied, and allows one to lift and sip slowly if one is left feeling isolated momentarily, or not knowing where to turn or which conversation to join.

When your guests have arrived PowerPointer, I would suggest saying something like:

"I am delighted to welcome you to meet our (sons name) fiancee, (your sons fiancee's name) and her family. They hope to marry (when), or sooner if they find a house! It is lovely to see you all, and so many friends from their old school and college and (sons name) office. Thank you so much for your good wishes. I hope everybody's got a glass of champagne -Have you? Good! Because I would like you to join me in wishing every happiness to (your sons fiancee's name) and (sons name)."

This is often a very good way to simply welcome people and take the initiative to break the ice so to speak, make everyone feel welcome, and break any tensions, and nervousness before they become evident so that you may all relax and enjoy the event.

-------------
Jonathan Stock
Presentation Consultant, www.123ppt.com

Posted By: Dave Clark
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 07:05

Perhaps it would be good to add a little humour to lighten proceedings?

Something like,

"As Helen Rowland once said, 'Before marriage a man will lay awake all night thinking about something you said; after marriage he will fall asleep before you have finished saying it'. So take advantage of tonight to tell our son everything he has to remember!"

-------------
Dave Clark
Presentation Consultant, www.123ppt.com

Posted By: Lisbeth
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 07:09
I was once told that a husband's last words should always be "OK buy it".

Lisbeth
Happy presenting so long as the audience is happy listening :)

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.53 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2008 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com