POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

Problem burning PowerPoint presentation to DVD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BigRed View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BigRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem burning PowerPoint presentation to DVD
    Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 05:01
Hello!
I have been so impressed using the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio. It truly has transformed my PowerPoint presentations. I can't thank you enough.

I have the Lite Edition of the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio, and yesterday, I was trying to burn my PowerPoint presentation to DVD using the Burn to Disc feature in the program. When I tried to burn my presentation to DVD I received and error saying

Error burning files. The specified Volume Identfier is either too long or contains one or more invalid characters.

Do you know what could be causing this? I really need to copy my PowerPoint presentation with the video backgrounds to disc to transfer the presentation to another computer to play the PowerPoint presentation there.

Thanks for any help and guidance - BR
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 05:16

Hi BigRed and welcome to the 123PPT Community!

The error your receiving is actually not an error from our program but a restriction of Windows preventing the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio from performing the task of burning your PowerPoint presentation to DVD.

Windows has by default a maximum allowances of 255 characters for any filename. Now whilst your actual presentation filename may not be this long. For example, mypresentation.ppt. The problem usually arises when the actual path and filename length is combined. For example, C:\my presentation\mypresentation.ppt.

While a Windows filename does not include the file extension, for example .ppt for a PowerPoint presentation file, it does include the total path from the drive location and folder location.

If you have for example video backgrounds which are named my-powerpoint-video-background-01.wmv used i your presentation then in the above example you would see the total path to your file being:

C:\my presentation\video backgrounds\my-powerpoint-video-background-01.wmv

Ordinarily this is not a problem but if for example your path to your PowerPoint presentation and video backgrounds was something more like:

C:\my powerpoint presentation with video backgrounds\video backgrounds\my-powerpoint-presentation-high-resolution-video-background-01.wmv

You can see how quickly the file and path length increases. Once the total path and file exceed 255 characters of any individual file that is to be copied, Windows cannot perform the task such as burn to CD or DVD as the character length is too long.

To complicate matters even more, if you are running a 32-bit operating system, Windows reserves 12 characters for converting long filenames into shorter filenames so you are reduced to only having 244 characters for the naming all folders and subfolders.

Please check your filenames BigRed and if possible reduce the length of your filenames to allow Windows to burn your PowerPoint presentation to CD or to burn your PowerPoint presentation to DVD.
Admin, 123PPT
http://www.123ppt.com
BigRed View Drop Down

Quote BigRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 05:24
Thanks admin. I've checked my PowerPoint presentation and my video backgrounds and the length of the filenames and folder structure but I can't see any file or path being longer than 142 characters.

Is there any other reason why I can't burn my PowerPoint presentation to disc using the functions in the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio?

Thanks again - BR
MariaK View Drop Down

Quote MariaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 05:39
I have also experienced this problem with the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio Deluxe Edition.

Is this a bug in the application?

Thanks, M
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 05:57

No not all.

The 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio is a Windows based application and like all Microsoft Windows applications it has to follow the system protocols of Windows.

Windows sets a 255 character limit on the total length of a filename including its corresponding path. In addition to the character length limitation. Windows alos prohibits the use of several characters which it deems illegal to use in filenames.

Illegal characters which are reserved and cannot be used in a file name are:
 < > : " / \ | ? *

If you are using one of these characters in a filename either in the name of your PowerPoint presentation or in the name of one of your PowerPoint video backgrounds, Windows will not allow you to copy your presentation either to CD, DVD, Blu-ray or any other portable media disc such as a memory stick.

Whether using the Burn To Disc functionality of the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio, or using expensive third-party CD copying software such as Nero, Roxio Creator or Alcohol 120%. Every Windows based application must follow the system protocols of Windows.

The benefit of the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio is of course that in addition to allowing you to create PowerPoint presentations with video backgrounds. It also allows you to burn your presentations with video backgrounds directly to disc so you do not need to invest in or purchase any third-partry CD copying software because the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio does it all for you inside PowerPoint.
Admin, 123PPT
http://www.123ppt.com
BigRed View Drop Down

Quote BigRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 06:17

Admin you are wonderful! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

It seems that one of my YouTube video files which I am using as a video background had an illegal character in it. I renamed the file and everything, my PowerPoint presentation, the 123PPT Presentations Player and all my video backgrounds burned to disc without any problem.

The more I use the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio, the more I love making presentations. I don't think PowerPoint will ever be the same!

Much blessings - BR
 Post Reply Post Reply