POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

YouTube Video in PPT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CrashTestDummy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CrashTestDummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YouTube Video in PPT
    Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 02:53
Hmmm....so I've been looking this forum and following a bunch of different posts regarding YouTube in PowerPoint.

YouTube in PPT with sound?

YouTube in PPT

YouTube video background with sound

and basically...I'm totally confused?!?!?!!?

Are you guys saying that I cannot just import a YouTube video into PowerPoint?

I grabbed a clip from YouTube and converted the video to an .avi video on my laptop (running Vista & office 2007).
When i play this video using the windows media player it all plays fine.
But when i use that same video in my ppt presentation it only plays fastforward..why and any ideas how to resolve this?

James
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 04:12
Hey James,
welcome to the 123PPT Community and PowerPoint Forum.

Charles is coming...he's just replying to another thread. Hang on!
Admin, 123PPT
http://www.123ppt.com
Charles Henry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 04:27

By default PowerPoint does not embed .AVI files. PowerPoint does not infact embed any video files at all. When you use the Insert > Movie > Movie From File... menu command in PowerPoint, PowerPoint does not embed the physical video into your presentation but merely creates a relative link to the file which opened during play back.

To confuse matters even more James, when PowerPoint plays video it doesn't play video through the Windows Media Player, but instead plays it through a Windows controller called the MCI Player.
The MCI Player does not always play video files that otherwise play without difficulty in Windows Media Player. See Video causes power point to crash.

This is because Windows Media Player decodes and plays back video using the codecs installed on your machine. The MCI Player does not always have access to these codecs and so without access to custom and non standard Windows codecs can on occassion deliver suprising results. For exmaple, play video without sound, or without picture, or fast forwarding to the final frame.

When converting a video file from one format to another, it is always important to ensure that the software you have selected to do the conversion is using a standard Windows default codec. By default, I mean one that is available freely on every machine and installed with Microsoft Windows, such as Windows Video or Cinepak. The importance of this James, is that this will ensure that your video file plays correctly up on every platform and without unexpected results.

When converting video files for use in PowerPoint, it is always a preferred option to convert the source video file to MPG or WMV file rather than AVI. This is because AVI is not a fully supported video format of Windows. AVI can be played across most Windows operating systems through Windows Media Player, but AVI requires greater use of codecs, with Cinepak being the only default standard provided by Microsoft.

AVI files are also much greater in file size than WMV or MPG files and on occassion, when large AVI files are used in a PowerPoint presentation, PowerPoint can behave erractically, or in the worst cases hang or crash locking CPU Usage to 100%.

Charles Henry,
Creative Director, www.123ppt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply