POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

Adult Baptism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Michelle View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adult Baptism
    Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 03:14
I've been asked to be the godmother of a 35 yr old woman which happens to be my sister-in-law.  We've been through some ups and downs over the course of the years but she is very dear to me and I would like to express that through a very inspirational speech.  However, I don't know where to start or begin.  Any suggestiions?
Jonathan Stock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Jonathan Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 03:25

Hi Michelle,

thanks for your post, and welcome to the PowerPoint Forum.

My adivce is to be honest. As you say, you have been through so much together been through up and downs, just as we all must with those who share our lives, and it would be wrong pretend that there had only only been good times. People and most importantly, your sister-in-law would now it was untrue.

I should start perhaps with something like,

"George Washington once said that, 'True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation'.

My sister-in-law (her name) and I have grown together, through the years, and experienced happy  times and sad times, hard times and good. My sister-in-law (her name) is a person with whom I may be sincere and before her I may think aloud.

To open your heart and feelings to someone who shares your life is not always easy. We sometimes say things we regret and we sometimes do things that we wish we could undo. But in many ways the canvas of life which is handed to us when we are born does not come with an eraser, or a blank page to start again.

As we life we our life, we stain our canvas, lit along the way with joy and goodness, and often tainted with selfishness and human failings.

At the end our work may not hang in the Louvre, at the Getty Museum, or handled by national trust. But the splashes of emotion, and feelings, and friendship that hit our canvas often abosrb as well to those closest to us.

My sister-in-law (her name), today has choosen to add direction, warm hues, goodness and grace to her canvas, and it brings me great joy to be here with her, in trust of these values, as she accepts God's blessing.

As a friend, she has bore my weight and troubles, and as a family member, responsibilties of our group. Today with her baptism, she welcomes the lord into her life, a strength to draw upon, whose guiding hand will add joy and goodness every day."

I think Mary Stevenson's Footprints in the Sand poem is perhaps relevant to add Michelle.

"One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking along the beach
with the Lord.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.

For each scene,
he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand.
One belonged to him, and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.

He noticed
that many times along the path of his life,
there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened
at the very lowest
and saddest times in his life.
This really bothered him
and he questioned the Lord about it.:

"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during
the most troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you the most
you would leave me."

The Lord replied,
"My precious, precious child,
I love you and would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then I carried you."

Finally, to conclude.

"Today my sister-in-law (her name) accepts the blessings and the strength of our Lord. Whose inspiration will light her canvas with such colour and illumination that it should shine like the brightest star in the heavens."

Jonathan Stock, Presentation Consultant

Jonathan Stock
Presentation Consultant, www.123ppt.com
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 03:29
Wow Jonathan, stirring and truly inspirational stuff!

I thought also that this was also a good expression.

"Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together".
Admin, 123PPT
http://www.123ppt.com
Michelle View Drop Down

Quote Michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 03:32
Wonderful Jonathan, thank you so very much. I will use your words and follow your advice. Thank you so very very much.

I was thinking, afterwards at the reception, I will also need to hold a short toast for my sister-in-law.

Do you have any suggestions for a short toast to an adult baptism?
Jonathan Stock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Jonathan Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 03:40
You are most welcome Michelle.

For a short toast at an adult baptism why not try something like,

"I would like to ask everyone to raise their glass in honour of my sister-in-law (her name).

As Mark Twain once said, 'Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with'.

I hope today has brought as much joy to my sister-in-law (her name) as she has brought and shared with us all."
Jonathan Stock
Presentation Consultant, www.123ppt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply