POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

Help with a baptism speech for my son

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Canavan View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Canavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with a baptism speech for my son
    Posted: 06 May 2011 at 06:07

Both my wife and I are extremely proud that we will be baptising little Jacob in several weeks time on July 4th at our local church.

Our parish minister has asked me if I would like to say a few words and give a short speech.  Of course I would love to, but I'm not sure of what to say. I want it to be beautiful and angelic so the video will be timeless and our son can watch it and show it to his children when they are baptised.

Can you please help me?

James
Martin Daniels View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Martin Daniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 06:14

Hey James,

may I ask the type of baptism? Christian, Catholic, Methodist, etc.
Martin Daniels
Presentation Consultant, www.123ppt.com
Canavan View Drop Down

Quote Canavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 06:16

Dear Martin,

thank you for replying so quickly. We are a Methodist family. The baptism speech will be held in a Methodist Church.

James

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Martin Daniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 08:21

Dear James,

I understand fully why you would want to create a beautiful speech for the christening and baptism of your son.

Mark Twain once told a story of a christening.

He spoke of a priest, a humble clergyman, who was prone to jump to conclusions sometimes. One day he was invited to officiate at a christening and so he went. The little clergyman's instinct came to him to make a great speech. Something grand and meteroic. He was given to flights of oratory that way--which as Twain noted is often a very dangerous thing, for often the wings which take one into clouds of oratorical enthusiasm are wax and melt up there, and down you come.

But the priest couldn't resist. He took the child in his arms, and, holding it, looked at it a moment.

It wasn't much of a child. It was little, says Twain, like a sweet-potato. Then the clergyman waited impressively, and said,  "I see in your countenances disappointment of him. I see you are disappointed with this baby. Why? Because he is so little? My friends, if you had but the power of looking into the future you might see that great things may come of little things.

There is the great ocean, holding the navies of the world, which comes from little drops of water no larger than a woman's tears. There are the great constellations in the sky, made up of little bits of stars. Oh, if you could consider his future you might see that he might become the greatest poet of the universe, the greatest warrior the world has ever known, greater than Caesar, than Hannibal, than--er--er" ...turning to the father, the priest asked, "what's his name?"

The father hesitated, then whispered back: "His name? Well, his name is Mary Ann."

"COURAGE!!!" Shouted the priest.

I guess my point James is that at times we often believe the more important the occassion the greater the speech we need to deliver.

As your son's father, your love is unquestioned.  I feel that whatever you say you will feel is not fitting. However, you say it, you will wish you said it differently.

Perhaps in a speech such as this, it is hard to rehearse the true feelings of pride and joy you will feel as a father at your child's christening and baptism. Perhaps those feelings are the strongest and those which should compose your speech?

Martin Daniels
Canavan View Drop Down

Quote Canavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 09:23

Yes I do see your point Martin. Your quote from Mark Twain was as Twain's readings always are. Very observant and dry in humour.

But as much as I want to let my feelings talk of how proud I am of my son's baptism and his entry into our church and Jesus's open arms. I want to say something about our Lord, and about what this means, to him, to our family, and to our heavenly father.

Do you have any suggestions of what I might say in additon to my own feelings?

James
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Martin Daniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 12:25

Perhaps you should focus on the importance and meaning of the day James.

Perhaps something like:

"In America on July 4th celebrations of our nations birth take their meaning and strength from the way democracy and full citizenship was given to all Americans.

The celebration and citizenship of life came from the Lord and those who trusted him and received him as Lord saw baptism as others couldn't.

Those who wished to give their allegiance to him were baptized. Those who rejected him, rejected baptism in his name.

Before Jesus returned to heaven, the resurrected Lord said his followers, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:18-20).

Today we bring our son into the Lord's house so that he may receive his blessing and watch over him to the end of his age. Since our Lord desires it and has commanded it, we gladly and humbly bring our son here today to fulfill it. So that the curtains of the clouds which angelic hands have swept together may open and our son may receive his blessing on this day of happiness and love.

We are both so grateful that you could share with us this special day today, and witness our son's entrance into the house of our Lord.

As his parents we will journey with him when he is weary and shelter with him through the storms. And with our Lord's grace and mercy we will have Jesus Christ as our guides.

Thank you all so very much for joining us here today, and thank you all for sharing our happiness."

Martin Daniels
Canavan View Drop Down

Quote Canavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 12:42

Dear Martin,

your words are beautiful. Thank you for your wonderful speech ideas. This was exactly what I had in mind. I cried reading them.
James
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Martin Daniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 12:54

You're most welcome James.

On behalf of us all here at 123PPT.com, I'd like to wish you all the very best with your son's christening baptism, and sned you best wishes from us all.

Martin Daniels
 Post Reply Post Reply