POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

Playing Two Music Files In PowerPoint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Charles Henry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing Two Music Files In PowerPoint
    Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:31

Hi Nick,

welcome to the 123PPT Community and the PowerPoint Forum.

From your description I think the problem lies in the repeat and and the start after previous setting.

You see the problem with setting both the repeat and the Start after Previous setting is that they might not co-ordinate and this gets even more complex with adding loops (repeats) as you have with your first sound file.

In other words, if the first sound had not finished precisely on the 54th slide then the second sound would not begin on the 54th.

The problem with looping your first sound and asking PowerPoint to play your second sound after it has finished is that the second sound will never start. This is because your second sound does not begin playing as it would have begun playing after the 5th repeat of the 1st sound.

To explain. Using Start after Previous tells PowerPoint, "play this after the previous sound has stopped". The problem with using start after previous for playing sound or animation for that matter is that you must have the 1st sound and the 2nd sound on the same slide as PowerPoint does not otherwise know when to start the 2nd sound since start after previous is not related to the first sound it if it is not on the same slide.

Making sense or just getting confused?

Here's a trick (a work around).

If you want to loop your sound across the first 53 slides you must first delete it, and also the second sound from the presentation. You have to completely delete them or else PowerPoint will still refer to it.

When you have deleted the sounds Laurie.

Go to your first slide:

• Select "Slide Transition" from the Slide Show menu option. A Slide Transition pop-up window should appear.  
  • Select the "Sound" pull down form in the lower right hand corner of the pop-up window. 
  • Scroll down to the very bottom of the form until you see "Other Sound ..."  
  • Select Other Sound... The Add Sound pop-up window should now appear.
  • Navigate to the music track that you wish to use on your hard drive and select the file.  
  • The Slide Transition pop-up window should appear again, with the name of the music .WAV or .MP3 file in the sound form.
  • To loop the music track, select the tick box, Loop until next sound
  • Select Apply (NOT apply to all) and you should return to the original page.

Now go to slide 54 and repeat this steps with your second sound. You'll find that your first sound file will play until the end of slide 53, and your second music file will begin on slide 54.

You could repeat this process and add more sounds Nick if you had as you say more tracks to add later on in the presentation.

Charles Henry,
Creative Director, www.123ppt.com
nick View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:20

I have a slide show of pictures that I've been working on and I would like to insert multiple music files.

I inserted a sound file onto the 1st slide, which works fine.  The song/ sound file is set to start automatically with the slide show, repeat 5 times and stop playing after 53 slides. 

I tried inserting a new sound file on the 54th slide... I used the same settings as the first song only this one is set to start after previous, but it just won't seem to play.

I'd eventually like to have 3 or 4 songs on this slide show and perhaps a few sounds effects as well. 

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or give me a hint to get my second song playing?

Nick
 Post Reply Post Reply