POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

How to display random slides in a presentation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
powerpoint newbee View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote powerpoint newbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to display random slides in a presentation?
    Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:14

Hi there,

I have a self running powerpoint presentation which i would like to display different slides from as the presentation plays at random.

The reason for this is that we are holding an exhibition stand at a conference center and rather than having a standard self running slide show rolling around from slide to slide, i would like random slides to be chosen so that the presentation is never the same.

Thanks for any advice,

powerpoint newbee Confused
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:21
Hey powerpoint newbee,

welcome to the 123PPT Community and PowerPoint Forum. Nice to have you with us.

I know this is not a direct answer to your question powerpoint newbee, but have you downloaded and tried the Free 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio for PowerPoint?

The 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio lets you add and play video backgrounds in PowerPoint behind your slide content so you create PowerPoint presentations that are ideal for exhibitions, trade fairs, trade shows and conferences etc., as the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio transforms static slides and otherwise what might be visually boring presentations into full screen, full motion, tv-style presentations that create much greater impact and gain that "wow factor".

The Free 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio Trial Edition comes with 10 video backgrounds (5 in standard 4:3 format and 5 in widescreen 16:9 format) so you can quickly make professional presentations with the minimum of effort.

There are 3 licensed versions (different editions) available should you decide to license your application with the Deluxe Edition also allowing you to add and insert YouTube in PowerPoint and add any YouTube movie as a video background or to play as a full screen film with sound on any slide in your presentation.
Admin, 123PPT
http://www.123ppt.com
Charles Henry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:31
It might be wise to point out admin that the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio lets you burn your presentatyions with video backgrounds direct to Blu-ray, DVD and Cd-Rom discs from inside PowerPoint itself. So if you need to for example play your presentaton on another computer at the exhibition it's easy to just bring the presentation with you and even include the Free 123PPT Presentations Player which you can install on any PC computer to play back your presentations with video backgrounds without needing to install or license another copy of the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio.

Before you use the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio to burn your presentation to disc you can select the Loop Presentation feature and even select a slide from within the presentation to loop from. So for example you could loop the entire presentation from start to end and then repeat from start to end. Or say, loop your presentation from slide 3 to end and then loop back to slide 3 and play to end again.

The 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio provides lots of options to create dynamic, visually engaging and high impact PowerPoint presentations.
Charles Henry,
Creative Director, www.123ppt.com
powerpoint newbee View Drop Down

Quote powerpoint newbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:34
WOW!!!! Thanks guys. The 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio looks brilllllliant! Exactly what I was looking for. I'll download it now.

But I'm just thinking....in case I run into trouble...is there no way to just randomly display slides in powerpoint?

powerpoint newbee Confused
Charles Henry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:47
Sorry powerpoint neebee. Of course.

But as you have noticed there is no way for you to select slides to play at random in PowerPoint itself using any in-built PowerPoint command or menu function. However, with a little bit of code you can quickly have your own Macro function up and running.

To add the VBA code powerpoint newbee, you'll need to follow these instructions.
  • Open your PowerPoint presentation and set the Macro Security to Medium or lower. If you are using PowerPoint 2003 or earlier: Choose Tools > Macro > Security and set security to Medium.
  • If you are using PowerPoint 2010 or PowerPoint 2007 then: Click the Office Button and then select PowerPoint Options at the bottom of the menu that appears. Then click Trust Center on the left of the PowerPoint Options dialog box and click Trust Center Settings. Click Macro Settings on the left of the dialog then choose Enable All Macros. Then close any open or remaining dialog boxes.
  • Now start the VBA editor. If you are using PowerPoint 2003 or earlier then: Press ALT+F11 to start PowerPoint's VBA editor.
  • If you are using PowerPoint 2010 or PowerPoint 2007 then: Click the Office Button once again. Choose PowerPoint Options and select Popular. Click and put a check next to Show Developer tab in Ribbon. Close the options dialog box, click the Developer tab then click Visual Basic to start the editor.
  • In the VBA editor, make sure that your presentation is selected and highlighted in the left-hand pane. Choose Insert > Module from the main menu to insert a new code module into your presentation. A module "holds" your VBA code.
  • Now cut and paste the following into the module:
Sub sort_rand()
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim myvalue As Integer
    Dim islides As Integer
    islides = ActivePresentation.Slides.Count
    For i = 1 To ActivePresentation.Slides.Count
        myvalue = Int((i * Rnd) + 1)
        ActiveWindow.ViewType = ppViewSlideSorter
        ActivePresentation.Slides(myvalue).Select
        ActiveWindow.Selection.Cut
        ActivePresentation.Slides(islides - 1).Select
        ActiveWindow.View.Paste
    Next
End Sub

Now to test the random slide functionality.
  • Click the Slide Show View button or press F5 to run your code.
  • With the VBA working correctly we can close the editor and return to PowerPoint. To enable the macro directly in PowerPoint so that you don't have to launch the VBA editor to run your random slide functionality, simply choose Tools > Macros to get a list of available macros in the current presentation. Highlight our sort_rand macro and click Run.

It is a bit tricky I know if you are only starting out with powerpoint, but hopefully the steps above will make it easy for you to follow and have your presentation dispalying random slides in no time if needed. 

Charles Henry,
Creative Director, www.123ppt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply