POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

Quicktime movies won't play in PowerPoint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Keisha View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Keisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quicktime movies won't play in PowerPoint
    Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:09

Help,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask but I have a Quicktime movie that won't play in my PowerPoint presentation. Can anyone help?

Keisha

Charles Henry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:11

Hi Keisha,

welcome to the 123PPT Community. Can I ask are you running PowerPoint on the Apple Macintosh or Windows/ Microsoft PC platform?
Charles Henry,
Creative Director, www.123ppt.com
Keisha View Drop Down

Quote Keisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:13

Macintosh????

No...never. I work on the PC Charles. Can you help?

Keisha

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:16
Do you know if it is possible for you to get the QuickTime movie video clip in another format from the creators of the file? For example, a format like .AVI, .MPEG, or .WMV?
Charles Henry,
Keisha View Drop Down

Quote Keisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:17

No. I have been given this movie by our marketing people and I have to play it within my PowerPoint presentation slide show but the Quicktime movie will not play. I need your help Charles.

Keisha

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:35

Yes I understand Keisha.

Sadly Quicktime is not a standard default video or sound file format on the PC as it is on the Apple Macintosh and so you see this in itself presents a problem for PowerPoint.

PowerPoint operating upon the Microsoft Windows / PC platform is able to play the file formats and codecs installed on the system, and by default handles multimedia files such as .AVI, .MPG, and .WMV.

Because Apple Quicktime is not a default standard upon the PC it requires a plugin to play quicktime movie files which is called the Quicktime Player. A component of which also allows you to load and play Quicktime movie files in your browser.

However, when it comes to PowerPoint Keisha, this is a whole different story, due to the restrictions in licenses, Apple places upon Windows versions of PowerPoint, and as such I always recommend our clients and users to avoid Quicktime all together in their presentations, which is why I asked if the video file was available in another format.

Since it isn't Keisha we have to look at 4 possible options.

Before you start to panic Keisha, let me explain...

PowerPoint versions 97, 2000, 2002, 2003 will allow you to insert QuickTime movies rendered and created in versions up to 2.5. PowerPoint 2007 and PowerPoint 2010 will allow you to insert QuickTime movies rendered and created in versions up to 7 and also allows you to insert any QuickTime movie that's rendered with the QuickTime Cinepak codec.

That's the good news...

The bad news is...that unfortunately newer QuickTime formats are not natively supported. (I.e do not use the Quicktime Cinepak.). So if you decided to stay with your Quicktime movie, which as you confirm, will not play, then you would need to either convert it to an old version of Quicktime (up to 2.5), and simply settle for linking the file to the presentation.

Linking your Quicktime movie to your presentation would mean that when the movie should play, instead of playing upon your PowerPoint slide, the movie will open an Apple Quicktime player, and the movie will play within the player rather than on the slide. So in effect you stop your presentation and open the Quicktime player and when the movie is finished then close the player and return to your presentation.

Not an ideal solution I would imagine Keisha.

Fortunately, the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio does allow you to insert and play any Quicktime movie as a video background in PowerPoint. However, if you want to import your movie with it's soundtrack then you would first need to uploadi it to YouTube.

The 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio Deluxe Edition allows you to download and insert any YouTube movie, video or clip at any and all available resolutions into your PowerPoint slides. In the latest version of the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio you can now also import YouTube movies with their soundtrack to play as full screen films inside PowerPoint on your slides. You don't need the Quicktime Player and you don't need to stop your presentaton.

Since you can upload your Quicktime movie freely to YouTube, you can then insert it and play it directly onto your PowerPoint slide using the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio and it will import all files without problems including .WMV, .MPG, .AVI, .MOV, .FLV (YouTube), .123 (123PPT video).

I did mention an alternative Keisha, and this alternative is called, the QTVR ActiveX control.

The QTVR ActiveX control will enable you to insert QuickTime movies and content into your PowerPoint slides, but beware...you must purchase a license to run the QTVR ActiveX control, and this license cost $150. Of even sadder news Keisha, is that this license only allows you to play your movie inserted into PowerPoint on one machine, so you will not be able to save your presentation and run it off another machine ad experience your Quicktime movie playing upon your slide.

It would seem that the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio for PowerPoint is the best alternative as it not only allows you to import your Quicktime movie but also create TV-style presentations with video backgrounds should you wish.
Charles Henry,
Keisha View Drop Down

Quote Keisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:38

This is very difficult for me Charles.

Are you saying that either I have to purchase a license for the 123ppt video backgrounds studio or one of the QTVR, or convert the movie into another format, or that I am having to just link the movie in a pop up quicktime player?

I can't believe I can't just insert and play the Quicktime movie. It is ridiculous. I am so fed up with PowerPoint!

Keisha
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:40
I understand you are frustrated at the moment Keisha.

Sadly there are no other alternatives regarding using the Quicktime file format and Quicktime movies in PowerPoint on Microsoft Windows.
Charles Henry,
Keisha View Drop Down

Quote Keisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:42
I have the presentation in just few hours what should I do?

Keisha

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 02:47

In all honesty Keisha, I think there are really only 2 options to consider.

I say this because purchasing the QTVR license will take you somehwere between 30 minutes and one hour to read through install and check, and unless you are yourself familiar with converting video formats and using codecs, then I would suggest avoiding this option also at such short notice.

Ultimately Keisha, it is a question of if you want to:
  • Stop your presentation.
  • Open the Quicktime Player.
  • Play the Quicktime Movie.
  • Close the Quicktime Player.
  • Return to PowerPoint and continue your presentation.

Or...

If you simply want to insert the video to play full screen like a film directly on your PowerPoint slide in your presentation so that you can when it's finished simply proceed to the next slide?
Charles Henry,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>