POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

Difficulty with Slide Master

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joe Wang View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joe Wang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difficulty with Slide Master
    Posted: 30 May 2011 at 02:08

Greetings ! I am new around here and new to PowerPoint 2010.

I am attempting to create a Presentation of 4 slides with different layouts and the Title of each having Font size 60, Bold and Red.

I set this requirement in Slide Master and when switched to Normal view everything is fine .

As I attempt to use different Slide Designs on the slides I lose the Font settings.

I was of the feeling that once these settings were preset in Slide Master there will be no
change in the layout with a Slide Design. Am I doing something wrong?

Please advise. Thanks

Charles Henry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 02:28

Hi Joe, welcome to the 123PPT Community and the PowerPoint Forum.

Since Microsoft launched PowerPoint 2002 it has been possible to create and work with multiple Slide Masters in PowerPoint.

Before establishing a Slide Master or Multiple Slide Masters, you need to understand the relationship between Slide Masters and Title Masters. Every presentation has at least one Slide Master. Each Slide Master in a presentation may have a corresponding Title Master, but doesn't have to.

Suppose you create a new presentation that starts out with one Slide Master and one Title Master. Then, as you work with the presentation, you add three additional Slide Masters to create new slide designs. Now, the presentation has four Slide Masters but still only one Title Master.

If you want to add an additional Title Master, the new Title Master must be paired with an existing Slide Master that doesn't already have a Title Master. So, you can add a new Title Master to either of the three Slide Masters you created.

From your post Joe, I wonder if you have been creating multiple Title Masters rather than Slide Masters? 

When you switch to the new Slide Master and insert your New Slide, the Slide Masters properties, including Fonts styles would be as you created from the Slide Master View. However, if you have created multiple Title Masters then when you insert a New Slide the slide properties would not affect your newly inserted slide.

In our PowerPoint Tips and Tricks secton, you will find the category PowerPoint and Slides.

The step-by-step guide to creating multiple PowerPoint Slide Masters and PowerPoint presentations with Multiple Slide Masters can by found at How can I create multiple Slide Masters in PowerPoint?.

Charles Henry,
Creative Director, www.123ppt.com
Joe Wang View Drop Down

Quote Joe Wang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 02:42

Thanks for you welcome Charles.

Maybe I need to make myself a bit clearer in terms of my needs and more appropriately what I did.

• I need a presentation with 4 slides for which I intend to use the following layouts:

(a)  Title Slide

(b)  Title Only

(c)  Title and Text

(d)  Title and 2-column Text

• My requirements are that the Fonts of all Titles be size 60, Bold and Red.
  • I created (a) the Title Slide and  placed all requirements in Slide Master [ Click to edit Master title style].
  • I then returned to Normal View.
  • The remaining 3 slides (b) (c) and (d) are  now created in Normal view and all carry the Font   requirements as placed in the Master Title.
  • I now decided to dress up the slides with design with the following  Design Templates : Kimono , Compass, Digital Dots and Maple.
  • What happens now is that  the Font format  of the Titles is overridden in  by whatever fonts are in the Design Templates.

My feeling was that once the formatting was done in Slide Master it would have / should  have remained. What did I do wrong?

Why after "jazzing up" the slides with the Design Templates do I lose the Font settings in all the slide Titles?

Thanks for any further suggestions,
Joe
Charles Henry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Charles Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 02:54

Hi Joe,

thanks for the detailed explanation. It makes it so much easier for me to help you.

I see your problem now. You see you created your slides within one PowerPoint template and then you applied another PowerPoint template to the open and existing template design.

A PowerPoint Design Template is not just the visual shell or "clothes" Joe, it contains all visual settings such as Fonts, Font Sizes, Colors, Object Placement etc., as well as the visual design.

Once you applied a PowerPoint Template design to your slides, you replace all the formatting of your slides with the formatting defined in the new PowerPoint template.

What this means Joe, is that you have to work with the template design and make the adjustments to that design, rather than create your own PowerPoint Slide Master and then apply a default template to it. Applying a PowerPoint template as I say also means applying all the templates settings which will replace yours.

Charles Henry,
Creative Director, www.123ppt.com
Joe Wang View Drop Down

Quote Joe Wang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 03:35

Very nice of you to sift through and highlight my problem, Charles. I am most grateful.

I have now  created 4 PowerPoint Design Templates in Slide Master with the Font requirements
of the Titles and saved them in the Template Folder [File > Save as... > Template]

On applying these PowerPoint Design Templates separately on the Slide layouts of my presentation the desired effect was achieved.

Thanks once again.

Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply