POWERPOINT FORUMGet The Answers To Your Questions About PowerPoint

Join the community of users at the PowerPoint Forum and share your knowledge and experience of PowerPoint to help others creating presentations.

Help Help  Search   Register Register  Login Login
PowerPoint Templates, Video Backgrounds for PowerPoint, Animated Backgrounds for PowerPoint and Presentation Services
Download Free PowerPoint Templates
Download Free PowerPoint Animated BackgroundsPOWERPOINT ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE
123PPT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS STUDIO™
123PPT MUSIC & SOUNDFX STUDIO™
123PPT MULTIMEDIA STUDIO™
123PPT PRESENTATIONS PLAYER™
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT MEDIA PRODUCTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds NEW POWERPOINT VIDEO BACKGROUNDS
POWERPOINT TEMPLATES
POWERPOINT BACKGROUNDS
PHOTOS & IMAGES
POWERPOINT MUSIC
POWERPOINT SOUND EFFECTS
FONTS
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds CUSTOM PRESENTATION SERVICES
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds
SHOPPING CART Your Shopping Cart Is Empty
Buy PPT Templates and PowerPoint Designs
Download Free Music For PowerPoint POWERPOINT HELP
Download Free PowerPoint Animated Backgrounds POWERPOINT FORUM
FREE NEWSLETTER
PRESENTATION ARTICLES
POWERPOINT GUIDE
POWERPOINT TIPS
POWERPOINT FAQ'S
RESOURCES
SITE MAP
CONTACT US

PowerPoint templates and animated backgrounds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jim View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PowerPoint templates and animated backgrounds
    Posted: 16 May 2011 at 03:26

Thanks for the newsletter and bringing the forum to my attention.

I wanna wish you guys luck and hope it grows and continues to grow and help us PowerPoint guys out here in cyperspace.

Something I've always wanted to ask, or at least just begin to discuss, is what do people think of animated backgrounds in PowerPoint?

I've seen Flash animated backgrounds, and video based animated backgrounds. But I wondered if you find them disturbing, or if you think they add something to a presentation?

Hope to hear from some of you guys out there!

-Jim

admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 03:52

Hi Jim,

welcome to the 123PPT Community and the PowerPoint Forum. Glad to have you here

I thought I'd kick back some thoughts I have about animated backgrounds.

The first animated background I saw in PowerPoint was a couple of years ago. A company called crystal graphics had made these terrible plugins that slowed everything down. I guess it was all part of a "gimmick" to try to add more "multimedia" to PowerPoint, but it sure as hell wasn't working.

I think most of the audience were basically just impressed that something was moving behind hte text and bullets on the screen that no one was actually questioning the practical use of the backgrounds, or how badly they were designed or how poor the quality of text and content was rendered using their plug-in.

It's strange how people keep trying to push more and more into their PowerPoint presentations. The old "less is more" addage seems to be overlooked when it comes to presenting. It seems that more often than not people use a presentation as an excuse to pack absolutely every effect and slide transition into PowerPoint in the hope that people will be impressed.

Today, we have the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio which is probably the greatest thing that has ever happened to PowerPoint. It allows presenters to insert, control and play video backgrounds in PowerPoint. Not at low resolutions and in poor anti-aliased qaulity like the crystal graphics solution, but in full broadcast quality even up to resolutions beyond Full HD. Unlike the crystal graphics solution, the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio also plays back presentation in High-Definition at a stunning 25 frames per second, so it's not even a case of being superior. The 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio is infact the only solution for using video backgrounds in PowerPoint.

When I go to see a presentation sure I want it to look good, and I want the visuals to reflect the theme and be professionally designed (I hate clip art), but I'm basically there to listen and learn. I want to be informed. Not dazzled. Now that's my own personal opinion Jim, but I know a presentation is relative. In many cases a presenter simply has to make an impression in order to get the audience to notice his or her presentation.

There's no doubt that the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio and using video backgrounds certainly achieves this. It really does make audiences sit up and pay attention to presentations and creates more excitement and enthusiasm than static PowerPoint slides can ever do alone. But even so, call me old fashioned, but I'm still a believer that content is king. The presenter still needs focus on the actual content.

Combining stunning visuals and high quality content is the utopian dream for any presenter and it is certainly achievable and thanks to tools like the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio. For me and around 500,000 other presenters and users the 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio, it really does make the creation of stunning visuals for PowerPoint extremely simple. But stunning visuals without content to me is a bit like a sports car without an engine. Sure it looks amazing but where can it go and in what direction it driving?

Admin, 123PPT
http://www.123ppt.com
Rolf View Drop Down

Quote Rolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 03:56

Hi old fashioned!

Absolutely, lets help build a forum for PowerPoint users and for presenters and creators of presentations and help each other improve our presentations instead of getting those guys that keep showing up on newsgroups trying to sell their products and brand their web domain trying to get more hits in Google.

Whatever happened to the help? To the advice? Since when was promoting a brand more important than trying to help someone on a forum?

Good luck to you guys Admin, I love 123PPT's products, I think they are absolutely the most professional I have seen anywhere online, and I am happy to say that 123PPT really does help make my  presentations better Smile

admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 04:23

Thanks for the encouraging words guys.

But back to basics....what do you think about animated backgrounds Rolf?

Admin, 123PPT
Rolf View Drop Down

Quote Rolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 04:31

I'm a bit in doubt about the whole animated backgrounds thing to be honest.

I've also seen a lot of really badly done stuff. The worst was most definetly an animated American flag, flapping away behind some text. It got so bad that I could barely read the text and then when the slides changed, this terrible loop started again.

Man it was annoying as hell.

Guess it also comes as no surprise to hear it was actually this Crystal Graphics video thing which to my mind should be banned for being so useless.

Do you know they stopped offering a trial version of their software for PowerPoint?

My guess is because after trying their plug-ins, who in their right mind would want to buy them? It's probably easier to get a customers money and harder to get a refund when you can't try their products first than it is to offer a free trial version to users and then convert it to a sale.

Jim View Drop Down

Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 04:36

That's what I think.

I think basically animated backgrounds are just annoying and distract the audience from the presentation itself.

I think if they were done discreetly then they might work?

I agree with you on crystal graphics thing there Rolf. I had it before. It was just crap and no matter what you did, you couldn't get it off your machine again or uninstall it. I bought some of their video backgrounds and they were just terrible so I never bought another one, and I never will. I prefer some of the stuff that can be done with Flash.

-Jim
MKN View Drop Down

Quote MKN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 04:40
Since you ladies have got your handbags out Wink

Have you seen what Crystal Graphics are doing now? You can't purchase individual video backgrounds for PowerPoint anymore. You have to purchase an entire "subscription". In other words, just like their products you have to pay up front to get access to the worst quality products online.

Have you seen their newsletters? Who would buy any design enhancements from those guys when their corporate stuff looks that bad!!!

MKN
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 04:44
Ok guys...I think we're drifting off the point of the thread here. I know there is alot of frustration our there about Crystal Graphics and their products but if possible lets try to keep reference to them at a minimum. Everyone who has tried their products knows about the problems with using them so let's leave that one here.

What about the use of Flash in PowerPoint? Anyone want to jump in and let us know their thoguhts about embedding Flash animations on PowerPoint slides?
Admin, 123PPT
Paul View Drop Down

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 04:47

Morning all,

I thought I'd throw my 2cents in Smile

If anyone is considering using animated backgrounds in PowerPoint the answer is simple. DON'T!

I've done alot of presentations and believe me the worst feedback I had was from the ones using animated backgrounds in PowerPoint.

It seems that people like them in the first few slides, then the novelty wears off. People get bored with them. Then people begin to dislike them.

Animated backgrounds in PowerPoint are the path to the dark side. People seem to think they  will give them ultimate power in their presentations, but it will only lead to destruction.

Paul H
MKN View Drop Down

Quote MKN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 04:50
Seems to me like you've been using Crystal Graphics video backgrounds Paul?  (Sorry admin)

Seriously dude, download and try the free 123PPT Video Backgrounds Studio for PowerPoint. It'll blow you away and change your mind about using animated backgrounds in PowerPoint.

MKN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>